28 September 2008

Circular Logic

When I said the other day that I couldn't say where I was, I was over at Grumpy's house. He was cooking me dinner. It was apricot chicken, which is my favourite Grumpy dish. I'm afraid his effort on this evening was a little sub-par. I went out the next day and bought some apricot nectar and French onion soup: I've decided that a life sans Grumpy means, among other things, that I'm going to have to master this dish for myself.

Anyway, that wasn't what I wanted to tell you about.

While he was doodling around in the kitchen his mum, Busy Walker, rang. They chatted for a while. She must have asked him what he was doing because he said, "Just whipping myself up some dinner."

Myself.

After he got off the phone I noted that he hadn't mentioned my presence. "Yeah, well, you tell mum a thing like that and she'll automatically assume we're getting back together."

I thought this was a little harsh on the old BW but it did remind me that when we first stepping out, all those years ago, his mum rang once or twice when I was at his place and he was cooking me dinner. He didn't mention me then on the grounds that, "She'll start asking me when the wedding is."

Better get him a packet of Virginia Slims. You've come a long way, baby.

No comments: