27 September 2008

Out on the Town

New Girl and I took in dinner and a show. That is, we ate at a local cafe and then went to see The Bank Job at the Luna Leederville. Regrettably we arrived a little late: the movie was showing in a tiny cinema and was playing to a relatively packed house. By the time we got there the only two seats left were the ones right at the front, approximately one metre from the screen. When you sit that close to a movie screen you have to move your head around to follow the action and you end up feeling quite ill. Or is that from the bag of Jaffas you ate? I'm just glad nothing really rude happened: I don't think I could have handled that kind of extreme close-up. When we stood up to go I found it a little difficult to operate back in the three-dimensional world. New Girl said she needed to go home and scrub the movie off her retinas.

Earlier in the evening I had been roundly abusing my poor friend as she stood at the cash register of Oxford Street Books and sent me running to other parts of the shop to find a book she'd forgotten. I was then a bit huffy with the guy behind the counter as he gave her a bag with handles while I'd had to settle for a plain paper bag that I cradled in my arms. I said, "It's alright for some!" and I noticed he gave me a strange, faintly amused look. At the time, I took the look to mean, "Of course I gave her a bag with handles: she's hot!"

As it turned out, I had been sent to the nether corners of the shop so that New Girl could hastily purchase this for me; a book I had been admiring earlier. Isn't she sweet?? And the bag with handles was required to carry the weighty tome.

But, let's face it, I don't think it hurt that she is hot.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I nearly bought this the other day (not for you, for myself) and now I am really glad that I didn't because I can look at yours!
(interestingly enough - for me anyway - the word recognition thingy is "PGLFHB" which I am taking to mean "Please gi'us looks, friend Hazel Blackberry". So you'd better - its obviously an omen).

Anonymous said...

Although my chances are probably fairly nil, now.

Anonymous said...

And really, she is kinda hot.

hazelblackberry said...

k, re your ability to turn the word verification to your favour is probably the best argument I've seen yet for you studying law.

Pop by sometime and you can browse. With gloves on.

Anonymous said...

That, and my conviction that I am absolutely right, all the time. I'm a natural!

Philosophical Karen said...

My word verification is "vwbdvoaf".

(I can't turn that to my favour.)