22 May 2007

When I told Grumpy this story he had a satisfyingly dramatic reaction.

After searing your eyeballs with rubbish like Rent, a soothing balm is to toddle off to the local movie theatre and take in the quality entertainment of The History Boys, with a good friend like Mona Lisa for company.

Afterwards I strategically steered us to the coffee shop where I knew I could get an Italian hot chocolate and Mona and I shared stories about what has been happening in our lives. As always, Mona held the trump card.

She and her boyfriend, The Professor, know a family that they not-too-affectionately refer to as The Maldicions. Mona got trapped into accepting a dinner invite to the Maldicions' place. The evening was passing in a dull and uneventful fashion when the Maldicion wife called the kids to come and clear the table, which they dutifully did. As they disappeared into the kitchen with various piles of crockery and cutlery, the Malwife yelled after them: "Don't scrape the plates, we're having soup tomorrow!"

Mona Lisa said that while the comment alone was ghastly enough, what really made the guests look at each other in horror was that for dinner that night they'd been served up casserole.

4 comments:

JahTeh said...

I think I'm more worried about the kids clearing the table without threats.

Danielle said...

I'm all for having leftovers (although not scraped from people's plates!) - but this takes it to another level - yuck.

ps said...

...and then the left overs for the soup become the stock for the next casserole, and the cycle of life goes on. Or is it the cycle of ecoli?

hazelblackberry said...

Slatz, I can't help but feel that your comment is tinged with a touch of vegetarian satisfacion. Well, who can blame you. You have a point.