07 March 2009

Rubber Stamped

I was busy staring out the window when someone knocked tentatively on my office door.

"Er, hazelblackberry?" asked the young chap standing there.

"That's me!"

"I need your approval for something."

"Ugh. That doesn't sound good."

He explained what he wanted - in complete gibberish as far as I was concerned - and I let him go on in this vein for a couple of minutes before interrupting him to say, "You do realise that I have no idea what you're talking about?"

He laughed nervously and then I nabbed someone who was walking past, got him to repeat his tale of woe or whatever it was, got the other person to translate it into plain English for me, then I threw my arms in the air and shrieked, "Approved!"

"Young man," I said, "I may have no idea what's going on, but I know people who do."

I refrained from calling him grasshopper. Oh but I wanted to.

No comments: