23 January 2009

Eyes and Ears - 23/01/2009

USSR:

Then she says, "You don't read women authors, do you?"
Least that's what I think I hear her say.
"Well", I say, "how would you know and what would it matter anyway?"
"Well", she says, "you just don't seem like you do!"
I said, "You're way wrong."
She says, "Which ones have you read then?"
I say, "I read Erica Jong!"
- Bob Dylan, Highlands


You've heard of transition relationships? I think I'm having a transition relationship with a book. I'm almost finished Murder in Montparnasse, a Phryne Fisher mystery by Kerry Greenwood. I'm not too sure about this book; not too sure at all. It's a bit dull, a little plodding. And Phryne Fisher isn't the kind of gal I can relate to. [What's more, that Michael Fitzsimmons doesn't seem like the barbecue type!] She's got it all, knows it all, does it all. Really. But then maybe I'm judging it all too harshly because I loved The Exception so much? Maybe. In the meantime, I'm looking for the next good thing.


The real bugger is that when I found this series of books I was so enthused by the art deco-ish covers* that I bought three at once. I hope they improve. Blast!


High Rotation:

Free Bird -Lynyrd Skynyrd
Big Time Sensuality - Bjork
Let's Work Together - Canned heat
Rush You - Baby Animals
Red Paint - Neneh Cherry




*At least, I think its art deco. It could be art nouveau. Or something in between? Secessionist? You be the judge.

1 comment:

Mary Bennet said...

Sadly, the Phryne Fishers are a bit hit and miss and I can't remember which ones are good now.

They are a bit easy to overdose on. Read one and you think she's FABULOUS. Read another one a week later and you become a bit sick of her fast car, her plane, her couture wardrobe, her St Kilda house, her effortless way with men, the apparently never-ending year 1928 and most irritating of all, her perfect dresden doll looks.

I love the deco covers too though and regret reading borrowed copies.