31 October 2008

Eyes and Ears - 31/10/2008

USSR:
Sitting in pride of place on top of my bookshelves this week are seven marvellous volumes which make up Arthur Fox-Davies' The Book of Public Speaking, a collection of famous or admirable speeches (to 1913), tips on what makes a good public speech and speaker, and anecdotes and background material for the aspiring orator. It's all rather wonderful, inspiring and entertaining stuff. I wish I had a fireplace so I could say it would make great fireside reading. Maybe at your place. It's not just the speeches, it's the editorial insertion of the audiences' responses which add to the reading pleasure. Here is Daniel O'Connell speaking on the struggle for Catholic emancipation:
Gentlemen: - I could not be an Irishman if I did not feel grateful, if I was not overpowered at the manner in which you have received me. Sorry, sunk, and degraded as my country is, I still glory in the title of Irishman. [Bursts of applause.] Even to contend for Ireland's liberties is a delightful duty to me. [Enthusiastic plaudits.] And if anything is wanting in addition to the evidence of such humble efforts as I have already been engaged in, for the restoration of our freedom and independence, to evince my devotion to the cause of my country, I do swear, by the kindness you have shown me now - by any I have ever experienced at your hands, and by all that I hold valuable or worthy of desire, that my life is at her service. [Applause.] And may the heavy hand of adversity fall down upon me, and upon all that are dearest to me - the children of my heart - if ever I forsake the pure pursuit of the liberty of Ireland. [Cheering for several minutes.]
BIG thanks to Initials in the Tree for picking this up for me. I was going to cook him chops for dinner but now I might have to make an effort.

Radio hb:
Some Fool's Mess - Gallon Drunk
Levitate Me - Pixies
Frank Mills - The Lemonheads
The Acoustic Motorbike - Luka Bloom
Girl U Want - Devo

2 comments:

Spud Mack said...

That makes me want to go and punch an englishman in the face.

hazelblackberry said...

Just make sure he's smaller than you.