31 January 2007

Mannish Boy


This is Manni. Manni is a confidante and companion to my good friend Mona Lisa, who lives in Canberra. She rang me today and at the end of our conversation she told me she was sneaking Manni into the movies this afternoon. According to Mona Lisa, German trains have signs up warning against fare evasion. Fare evaders are known as Schwarzer Mitfahrer, which translates - colloquially, I think - as Dark Rider. Don't you love the idea of being a Dark Rider? Manni is a Dark Rider, smuggled into the theatre in Mona Lisa's bag.

She writes, "He doesn't like being 'In the Bag' too long, or 'Im Beutel' as they say. But he loves movies, and books. The perfect companion."

This is my favourite picture of Manni. It shows that he enjoys cultural pursuits without being a snob (just take a look at that expression!). But most of all I love the title of this photo: Very Busy.

No comments: