15 November 2009

Theory of Relativity

Earlier this year RobertPlant and I went to see Crispin Glover's Big Slide Show. It was a great night and at the end of the evening he took questions from the audience and was available to chat afterwards. I really wanted to stand up during question time and ask, "Do you have a girlfriend?" but frankly I felt too shy. Both RobertPlant and I were disappointed in my reticence.

So I resolved while we were lining up to have our Robert Forster books signed that I wouldn't let another opportunity pass me by. Not to ask him if he had a girlfriend! Sheesh. I could see he was wearing a wedding ring. I mean, come on.

I got up to him and handed him my book.

"You know, I can't stand how my own voice sounds so how does it feel, you're standing here in this bookshop and they're playing your songs over the speakers? Do you like hearing your music playing?"

"It's a bit odd. I don't mind it like this for a little while, but if it went on too long it'd feel strange."

"So you don't get into your car and slip on a 'best of' of yourself for the journey then?"

"Er, no."

He smiled but he also looked at me a little warily. Robert Forster thinks I'm a weirdo! Robert Forster clearly hasn't been to see Crispin Glover's Big Slide Show.

No comments: