05 October 2009

He's hung up on a clown from the 60s.

RobertPlant got all excited months ago when he found out that The Stems were doing three final - last chance to see - shows in Perth, so he promptly went out and bought tickets to all three. I went along with him to Mojo's on Saturday night for that performance. It was a pretty good night. The place was, naturally enough, packed to the rafters with Perth Guys - little wonder, The Stems themselves being died-in-the-wool Perth Guys. RobertPlant seemed happy. I could tell he was happy: he kept handing over money without complaint so I could toddle over to the bar and get myself another drink. I wish I was good at reviews so I could give you a review, but I'm not. Just take my word for it, it was a fun night. You totally missed out. RobertPlant ran into people he knew from the old days, just hanging on the scene, the way he did. For one, brief moment he was re-immersed in his glory days.

For me the highlight of the evening was earlier, when we were browsing for books in Elizabeth's. A couple in their late 30s/early 40s came wandering in, looking like first-few-dates material. The guy took a look around, hitched up his pants and loudly declared, "I'm not really into books." RobertPlant and I shared a meaningful look; a look I also shared with an older, immaculately dressed woman a little further along the aisle. I wanted to sidle up to the female half of the couple and urge her to flee while she still could. Then I glanced in her direction and from the expression on her face I think that's exactly what she was planning to do anyway.

2 comments:

Lonie Polony said...

I don't wish to sound like a patronising snob, but I must confess I pity people who 'aren't into books'. They're a breed I simply can't understand.

hazelblackberry said...

Oh patronisingly snob away. Please do.