04 February 2009

Fear Factor Ten Thousand

"Well, look, here's the thing: the job sounds very interesting and I'd love to have it but I have no idea about [Subject Area] and I'm terrified I won't know what I'm doing and I'll completely stuff it up."

"Can you start on Friday?"

"What the hell. Might as well give it a go."

"That's the spirit."

Boxer Girl is organising a farewell lunch for me for tomorrow.

I'm all about being open and honest - except on this blog where I am very mysterious and have many secrets - and mostly it pays off. Sometimes people freak out but mostly it pays off. I think it paid off this time.

I'm still scared but.

5 comments:

Spud Mack said...

Knowing what to do at your job is so over-rated. George Costanza put it best when he said you just have to walk about looking frustrated and everybody will think you are busy.

Anonymous said...

Speaking (typing, whatever) as someone who started something Completely New last year and am loving it, and doing well, even though sometimes I still don't UNDERSTAND it, I think it is all marvelous. I am sure people will think you are marvelous. They will say: "Look at hb, she's a marvel" and others will agree: "Yes, it's a marvel what she does.... who hired her?" And then questions will be asked. At high levels probably. And we will all marvel at the answers. I've typed marvel so many times now it looks and sounds wrong. Is marvel even a word!?!

Zen Mama said...

Wahoo! Congratulations! It doesn't matter if you know what you're doing so long as other people think you're doing a great job.

Carol said...

Yay for you! You don't give yourself nearly enough credit. I'm sure you'll be completely fabulous.

Hell, everyone thinks I'm doing wonderfully and I have no idea what the I am doing half (most) of the time.

Also, given the mystery surrounding what you do, I've decided to think of you as a supermodel.

hazelblackberry said...

Spud - looking frustrated comes naturally to me.

New Girl - Yes, marvel is word; but only when used in conjunction with the word 'comics'.

Heather - thanks. Yeah, that second bit could be tricky to achieve too.

Carol - those who have seen me in real life have just been given the best laugh they've had all day.