25 January 2009

"Here's to re-opening old wounds!"

Last night k. decided she should encourage her dinner guests to head indoors. She was worried about the effect our yahooing might have on the neighbours. Her niece had already gravely informed us, "I'm only twelve years old. Don't mentally injure me."

Later...much later...when I got home, I couldn't get the zip on my new party frock undone. It's in an awkward spot and I couldn't contort myself to wriggle it free from the point where it was stuck. I was standing there feeling rather flustered and reflecting on the grief and horror of living on one's own that is encapsulated in a stuck zip. Did I mention that I may have had a couple of drinks during the evening? Then I decided the easiest thing to do would be to go to bed fully clothed and have Heidi unzip me when she came over this morning. Suddenly the stupid thing unjammed and I was free. Existential crisis over!

It's a good thing I didn't sleep in it. That dress is a bugger to iron.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

but it is very lovely! My neighbour has just stopped me to sya hi and ask who had a birthday, because she heard the party! she looked a little alarmed when i explained that there were only five of us!

hazelblackberry said...

Thanks, k. I quite like it. Even if the neck line is a trifle...plunging.