08 October 2008

Pants Man

I was going to tell you all about how I don't understand what the description 'edgy' means, but it's quite boring and probably I just need to lighten up.

So instead I'll tell you about how New Girl and I were in Borders, wandering around not feeling all that inspired. Our terrifyingly over-caffeinated drinks had yet to kick in. Then we saw him. He was a funky dude and he was striding with great purpose around the aisles, wearing a pin-striped jacket and marching band pants. Also, he had sunglasses and dark, medium length hair that clearly required plenty of styling. We opined that there was not a heterosexual bone in his body. Nevertheless we decided to follow him.

"I want to touch him," said New Girl.
"With your tongue?"

We tracked him down to one of the DVD shelves. He was standing around looking angsty. He had a friend, a female friend, who was helping him find DVDs that were just right, though what the selection criteria for that was shall remain a mystery. She offered up a movie called Baxter or Dexter - I don't know - but he shrugged his shoulders and looked like he was staggering under the weight of his own ennui.

"Yeah, I tried watching that but it was too............."

The seconds ticked by endlessly, unbearably. Too what???

New Girl and I grabbed each other: "Finish the sentence!" we both hissed.

As Thomas Wolfe could tell you, close ups aren't necessarily all that satisfying and we soon got bored with him. Particularly once we realised that his whole interesting persona relied on the way he looked rather than anything he had to say.

Also, New Girl wanted to buy some shoes. So we left.

No comments: