22 May 2007

Prithee, my dear, why are we here?

I complained, very impolitely*, to Jessie Mo and Sarah Ulmer about the Canberra phenomenon of people who know you seeing you out and about and not saying hello. Many is the day that after a busy weekend flitting here and there I would come into work to have someone approach me to tell me they'd seen me in my travels. But they would say it in a grim voice laced with judgement.

Or while I was out and about I'd see someone I know seeing me and just as our eyes met they'd turn away. It was strange and unsettling. I don't think I'm the kind of person who inspires excessive revulsion in others, nor do I think I'm especially paranoid - this has happened to other people I know!

So on Saturday afternoon I was trundling through Manuka when I heard a shriek and there was a kerfuffle and Sarah Ulmer came flying out of a cafe screaming, "I see you! I see you!" and gave me a big hug. The coffee drinkers in the little square stared at us (but only until we made eye contact with them).

I thought that was such a lovely and funny thing of her to do. I will miss her, but I hope being in Canberra brings her everything she desires.



*I may have been rude, but they were too polite to tell me so.

1 comment:

jessie mo said...

sheesh, it's taken me 20 minutes to sort out the password i'd forgotten to get back into commenting on blogs.
but a nice dinner.

and Cetacan, i've read your blog too. will be up to date tomorrow.