28 February 2007

The Revolution Will Not Be Autoloaded

Yesterday, seeing the writing on the wall for my little paper MultiRider, I bought a SmartRider card. I was telling Grumpy how impressed I am at the number of people who are choosing not to register to have their bank automatically transfer money onto the card each time it gets below $6. It's all driven by a righteous objection to having yet another government agency holding their private details and, what's more, tracking their public transport habits. I'm very proud of my fellow Western Australians.

But, of course, having your bank directly pop money onto the card gives you 25% off your fares, while all other methods give you 15% off. It's a cruel incentive.

"So," asked Grumpy, "what are you going to do?"

"Oh I'm registering of course. I want that 25% off!"

"Yep, they always find a way to get you, don't they?"

"Yes indeed. Besides, they already know everything about me anyway. I mean, I do have a blog."

2 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

Well, if your government agencies are anything like our government agencies, they wouldn't know how to get to the information to do anything with it anyway.

Lonie Polony said...

I hate Big Brother too, but Australian Big Brother can't hold a candle to China. Creepy creepy China.