08 September 2006

Chumbawumba

Last year I was not the shining star of the footy tipping at work. This is no big deal given my lack of knowledge of and interest in the AFL.

Therefore, it came as a rather rude and unpleasant surprise to many when I surged to the lead early in the season this year and have pretty much stayed there. I fought off a couple of challengers in later rounds but it was me - me! - standing on the victory podium as the dust settled on the final game of the round last Sunday arvo.

I was chatting to The Burp a little while ago and I said, "I'd better be off. I have to go down town and buy some cakes."

"Oooh, what for?"

"If you win the footy tipping you have to put on cakes and I won the footy tipping."

The Burp has been cutting caffeine out of her diet and she's been feeling pretty woozy but when she heard this I think the planet wobbled on its axis for her.

"What? You? How? Did you study the form guide or something?"

"That's exactly what I did."

I could hear her rustling around for a pen & paper. "Right. So how many points did you end up on?* I've got to tell The Rooster this: he won't believe it."

I'm sure he won't.

It's no bravery medal, but I like to think that in my own small way, I've left my mark upon the world.



*It was 122 out of 168 if you must know.

1 comment:

The Burp said...

Congratulations HB!


Don't know next weeks Lotto numbers do you?