04 April 2006

Stockings Reprise

This morning I was chatting on the bus with a friend and the conversation turned to the nip that was now creeping into the morning air and how that meant, inevitably, the onset of the dreaded stocking weather. Thus ensued a conversation regarding the many troubles visited on one who dares to wear stockings. Phrases like "psychologically damaging", "cold rivulets of sweat" and "the crotch only comes to the knees" were bandied about freely. After the chit chat had continued on in this vein for several minutes a well-groomed and fuller-figured woman sitting in front of us turned around and said, "I can't tell you how much better listening to you two has made me feel."

2 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

I love this post, and your original version. It's comforting to know that someone halfway around the world feels the same way I do, even if her seasons are the reverse of mine.

I only dress up on special occasions now. Inevitably I will grab an expensive pair of stockings (pantyhose) that I bought on sale, and after I struggle as you describe, they will promptly rip. I will then reach into the drawer for the cheap multi-pack backups, which last the entire day and 12 additional laundry cycles -- thus proving that, when it comes to torture, you get what you don't pay for. Or something like that?

pseudostoops said...

Oh how I hate them. My mother, who is of another generation (obviously, that's how generations work!) is a huge fan, and whenever we travel out of town for a family function, she brings an "extra" pair in case I forget mine." My husband actually had to intervene last time because she was trying in all seriousness to forbid me from attending a wedding without pantyhose. In open toed shoes. In summer.

Ugh.