21 March 2006

Wheel Away, All the Way

Quirkie does evil things.

People like me rely on checking out what everyone else is doing with their bins so I know what to do. Luckily I live next door to a sensible, reliable Old Fart. Oh. That's right. Also: he's a stickybeak.

Old Blokes always know which week is recycle bin week. They have a complex, logarithmic, matrix system stuck on their fridges which will calculate which bin week is which for all time, or the onset of Alzheimer's, whichever comes first. They come round to visit each other in the middle of the day, curtains firmly drawn against the sunlight, and admire each other's matrices and debate their relative merits. They compare and contrast, if you will. So when troublemakers like Quirkie start, er, making trouble, I just have a squiz at Old Fart's bin arrangement and I'm back on track.

The only problem with our particular Old Fart, is he's also a neatness freak. Can't stand bins left out haphazardly on the kerb after the garbos have been. So he stalks the street, returning everyone's bins to the exact spot where he thinks they belong. In our case, that's right next to our driveway gate, thus providing potential robbers with an opportunity to jump the fence and break in through the privacy and gentle seclusion of our back yard. It's nice to think robbers can rob in peace.

5 comments:

The Burp said...

The title of this blog made me peel into
A wheel away, a wheel away, a wheel away, a wheel away......a weeeee, a weeee oooo a lion sleeps tonight..a weee...



sorry........

Philosophical Karen said...

Oh, I feel blessed. Both garbage and recycling are picked up here once a week.

In summer though, they do this thing with yard waste in brown paper bags and that's only every two weeks. Our "matrix" is printed in the back of the phone book. Not everyone thinks to check, though.

My word verification is "budonu"

(It's what you get when you spill beer in the United States.)

Livewire said...

Bin there with the wheelie bin as accessory thing.

At the old share house in Griffith someone got onto the wheelie bin, through a 'high' window and left with stuff - my flatmates.

Since then "wheelie bin's" good to me. My new neighbours know the one - two recycling shuffle. And their bins are out when I reverse my car out onto the street before work. So I know to get out of my car, move appropriate bin/s, get back in car, etc.
I think its something about having a midday rubbish run that works.

Anonymous said...

We also have recycling here, you simply put your rubbish in the bin and the local villagers come past recycle it... this is why one never puts one's old Reg Grundy's in the bin.

hazelblackberry said...

Particularly if they end up recycled as hats.