22 November 2005

Tell It to Carrie (IV)

At last, the final instalment:

(16) In our uni days, The Antiquer and I went to several concerts together. He fell asleep at the following: Neil Young, Joan Armatrading, Fleetwood Mac and Mick Jagger. I am scintillating company.

(17) At the Neil Young concert two very drunk guys sat in front of us and before old Neil even appeared on stage they were screaming for Heart of Gold. It was the fourth song he played. The two drunks went right off and then left. That was $15 a song.

(18) On Sunday, Grumpy, a friend and I were at the Houghton's jazz (my arse) and blues festival. After friend and I had bought another bottle of wine she said she was going to toddle off for a while to catch up with some other friends of hers who were there. I asked if she wanted to come back to where we were and take a glass of wine with her. She stopped staggering along, swayed back and forth for a minute trying to comprehend the situation, then lurched her upper body over towards me, nearly touching her nose to mine and confided in a dramatic stage-whisper, "I would, but I'd rather they didn't know I've been drinking."

(19) The first time I saw Jonathan Richman I made The Antiquer come with me. I also got him to sneak in my camera and take photos. I explained to him that if one of us was going to get kicked out, it wasn't going to be me. This seemed to make sense to him. The second time I saw Jonathan Richman Grumpy came along willingly, as he'd been brainwashed. We (I) naughtily taped the show. Our favourite part of the tape is during a quiet instrumental when a drunken loon in the audience joyously howls, "Blue Mooon!"

(20) After struggling to get him to listen to Jonathan Richman in the first place, Grumpy is now a bigger fan than I am. Don't you hate it when that happens?

2 comments:

The Burp said...

Jonathan Richman? What no link to him? His name is not in lilac blue with a link?
Dam I'm going to have to google him myself...

hazelblackberry said...

I couldn't be bothered. Some days are like that.

But for those of you who come late, some starting information on the amazing JR can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Richman

There's links, too, so you can learn more!