04 November 2010

Deepening Trough - Part II

I was filling Grumpy in on my latest medicinal requirements. There was a genuine look of regret and concern on his face.

"I feel to blame. I feel as though I made this happen."

"Don't be ridiculous," I said. (And, honestly, the egomania!)

Then I added, "But if it's any consolation, you certainly didn't help."

He waited patiently until I'd finished laughing. "Well, you're clearly on the road to recovery."

------------------------------------

Walking back along the river after the Cool Night Classic this evening, Scarab and I were bickering as to whether the complimentary food box provided after the event constituted a meal. I think an egg & lettuce sandwich, a small quiche, two pieces of sushi, a fruit flan and a mini Mars Bar is a meal! Scarab didn't so much beg to differ as refused to even listen to my side of the story. She was going home to have dinner.

It was a beautiful night. The clouds had blown away, the river smelled salty fresh, the city lights looked festive and summery. As we walked across the Narrows, the wind felt like it was blowing us clean.

When we got back to my car, Scarab gave me a big hug and said, "That was great fun! I'm so pleased you're doped up!"

Me, too, Scarab. But there's no way I'll admit to you that I'm about to go to bed and I'm staaarving.

No comments: