01 November 2010

Deepening Trough - Part I

I sat in the doctor's surgery this afternoon as he ran through the possible side effects of the medication he'd prescribed for me. He didn't seem quite sure where to look, which should have been a warning, given our history of awkward moments.

"Now, I only mention this one because patients don't tend to report it, but it is a possible side effect: it may make it difficult for you to achieve orgasm."

I burst into tears afresh. "I don't think that's going to be a problem for the foreseeable future - I mean, isn't that one of the reasons why I'm here?!"

I thought I saw the corner of his mouth twitch. I couldn't help but chuckle for a moment myself. "Go on, laugh at me then."

Then I asked, "What about weight gain?"

He looked at me. "I can promise you, weight gain is not one of the side effects of this particular drug. I only prescribe those drugs to female patients as a last resort."

A man with insight! It's been years since I've encountered one of those.

2 comments:

Julia Ball said...

ooo I know your pain, and I probably know what you are taking too, I actually did report that particular side effect, unfortunately, it wasnt to my usual lovely GP who would have made an amusing comment, but to a new locum, yep, my embarrassment knows no bounds, but the effect only lasted a little while, and after a month or so, you will get your mojo back ! I am new to your blog, you can blame Patrick Baty for aquiring me :-)

hazelblackberry said...

Hey Julia,

Thanks for your comment. Nice to meet yu: Patrick generally makes a quality introduction (he's only slipped up once thus far).

hb