11 May 2009

The Silent Scream (of Joy)

About to head out for a round the bridges walk with Scarab. We haven't been near Jacob's Ladder for a few weeks as she's hurt her leg and now her physiotherapist has banned her from any hellish Ladder activity.

"But, haze," she said when she broke the dreadful news, "what I was thinking was that you could climb Jacob's Ladder while I do the bridges walk, and then I'd come and meet you in King's Park for a coffee afterwards."

Is she insane?? Who in their right mind would pass up an opportunity to not climb Jacob's Ladder? Let's face it: I'm not in my right mind and even I know the answer to that one.

"Oh no, Scabs, no. I couldn't do that. Let me walk the bridges with you."

"Are you sure? I'd hate for you to miss out."

Sometimes her sincerity is almost humbling.

"No, no. It's fine. The whole point is that we're doing something together."

And here's my real point: I'd never wish a permanent disability on any of my friends, but if Scarab's leg never completely heals? And we can never, ever return to Jacob's Ladder? Well, that's something I think I'll be able to learn to live with.

No comments: