24 October 2008

Eyes and Ears - 24/10/2008

USSR*:
"I think an apology is in order," said The Antiquer.

"I'm sorry I didn't listen to you before when you told me I should read Dan Leno and the Limehouse Golem."

"And? I do believe it's been five years."

"I'm sorry it's taken me five years to finally agree to read Dan Leno and the Limehouse Golem."

When The Antiquer first gave me DL&tLG to read, he pressed it upon me, insisted I read it. I love browsing other people's bookshelves and borrowing stuff. I'll even ask them what they think of a certain book, and their enthusiasm can be catching, but as soon as a book is thrust under my nose with a "you must read this" attached, I resist. I don't know why. So The Antiquer was put out and ticked off when I returned the book eventually, refusing to read it. There has been quite the nagging campaign over the years though, to be fair, it's the only book he's ever set as required reading. So on Monday he handed it over again and I solemnly promised to read it. I took it out on Monday night with a deep sigh and set about my task. Imagine my surprise to find it was worth the pushing.

"That book is fantastic! Where have you been hiding it all these years??"

"I told you you'd like it. Tell Initials. I've been trying to get him to read it too."

I turned to IitT with the starry eyes of the zealot. "Oh you must read this book!"

Also digested this week:

- Great Dream of Heaven, a collection of short stories by Sam Shepherd. Knockout writing. Borrowed from The Antiquer and jealous that he owns it.
- Little Bits of Baby by Patrick Gale. I finished this book and, while I could see that it was good writing and an entertaining plot line, I wasn't ever absorbed by it. I felt like I was an observer of my own reading, appreciating all the tricks but not transported.

Radio hb:
The Changeling - The Doors
Ain't Comin' Back - Nine Below Zero
Moody River - Doc Watson
Rita Ballou - Guy Clark
I Never Picked Cotton - Johnny Cash



*Uninterrupted Sustained Silent Reading

1 comment:

Mary Bennet said...

Completely understand your reluctance to follow reading orders. I've been burnt so many times by not liking the books I've been told I'll LOVE.

And it can be really awkward to admit as much to the lender, especially if they're a mate. I wonder mean WHY would they think I'd like this particular poorly written sentimental bit of melodrama? Is it their bad judgement or do they really think I'm LIKE THAT? How could they be so wrong about me? Or do they just not know ANYTHING about books in which case can we still be friends?

AGONISING!!

I've even occasionally "lost" books rather than say I didn't like them. Then you have a whole other set of difficult conversations.