25 August 2008

Je ne suis pas bovvered!

A friend from uni rang last night and we were swapping notes about our latest prac. She was jealous that the Year 11 English class I'm teaching only has three students in it, all girls. I told her that the downside to this is that I get to hear everything they're discussing.

I was taking the class for a double period and gave them a break in the middle. Because it was a cold, rainy day they drifted over to the heater and chatted there. One of the girls lives with her boyfriend and he had bought her a puppy. The kids can leave the school grounds during the day and this girl was encouraging the other two to come back to her place and meet her dog.

You gotta see the baby!

One of her friends agreed. The other demurred. There was much nagging and refusing until finally the hold-out said, "But if I go to your place I'll just have to listen to you in bed!"

I tried to look busy with the papers in front of me. Absorbed, if you see what I mean. I was aghast. I mean, what poor manners to invite someone back to your house and then disappear for a shag! Where's June Dally-Watkins when you need her?

3 comments:

Spud Mack said...

People are living with boyfriends and shagging at lunch in Year 11 these days? Boy, does my high school experience seem tame!

hazelblackberry said...

I think they were doing the same thing in those days, Spud - we just didn't know about it.

Anonymous said...

didn't you ever wathc Heartbreak high Spud?