29 August 2008

Got Cash?

Although she is known as New Girl on this blog, I have often been known to call her by a different name: Stupid Girl.

"You stupid, stupid girl," I will say quite regularly when we're together.

I like to build my friends up; lift their spirits. Call it a community service, call it noblesse oblige: I will confess to either.

Last night as we roamed Garden City (Garbo to the kidz of my generation), we were both huffing and puffing in mock horror over some imaginary slight.

"Why, I haven't been insulted like that in months!" shrieked she, and then added, "Has it really been that long since I've seen hazelblackberry?"

How we laughed.

But, gentle reader, mark this: a while later New Girl's face lit up when she remembered a marvellous secret she had to tell me.

"Look at what I've got in my bag."

She dug around in the capacious port which was dislocating one of her shoulders, and which she had been carrying around unzipped please note, and unwrapped a t-shirt she had in there to reveal a bright green ball of something. I was confused. Why was New Girl carrying a butter lettuce in her bag and going to such lengths to concealed it. Then I looked again: it was a uuuuuge bundle of $100 notes! Right there, swinging on her shoulder! A friend of hers had it as the deposit for a house (yes! that much money!) and she had snatched it from him and told him she would keep it in her bag.

As we stood there in Dymocks, surrounded by chick lit and bathed in fluorescent light, I looked at her in wonder, shook my head and told her that she was a stupid, stupid girl.

I hope she didn't take it the wrong way.

3 comments:

Philosophical Karen said...

That's fascinating that a word would be designated as a Heritage Icon.

Philosophical Karen said...

Word verification: phltf

How did it know?

Ranzige Bunzing said...

WHAT? New Girl was in Dymocks with a s***load of cash? Did she spend it all on books?