27 October 2006

Getting Inspiration Part 2

Rodney asks, "What's the worst thing a sibling has done to you?"

Despite coming perilously close once, I don't have any brothers or sisters. Amongst the few of my friends who are also only children, I think I'm only one who thought it was a hoot. Everyone else seems quite scarred by the whole thing...

What I do have is uncles who aren't too much older than me and they liked to look out for me. When I was in Perth they let me watch The Aunty Jack Show and Alvin Purple with them. They taught me the words to Vicious and got me to stomp around in my brown corduroy duds and DBs singing the song.

But one of Abacus's favourite tricks was to say to me, "Hey, Hazie, wanna see a match burn twice?" As he was saying it he'd pull a Redhead from the box, light it, blow it out and quickly press it on to my arm. I guess social services wasn't so big in those days.

No comments: