31 August 2006

Bellamy!

This post of Karen's reminded me of a Burl Ives record that Bloody Ern bought me when I was a squirt. Ern was a big Burl Ives fan so he thought he'd better inculcate me early on via Big Daddy singing songs for the kiddies.

The record included good wholesome fun like The Little White Duck and Mr Froggy Went A-Courtin' but our favourite song was Mr Rabbit and we sang it well into my so-called adulthood. We both loved the killer twist at the end:

Mr Rabbit, Mr Rabbit, your eyes are mighty red
Yes, bless Lord, I'm almost dead
Every little soul must shine, shine
Every little soul must shine, shine

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Lord!

Philosophical Karen said...

We had a Burl Ives record too. (But we liked Tom Lehrer better.)

Grump Les Tiltskin said...

There's nothin' better than a redneck shootists' album for kiddies.