06 January 2006

This Really Happened to a Friend of Mine

You know how if you lock your keys in the car, the lovely RAC man will come out and unlock the door for you? Well, except if you're me and you're handy with a coathanger. By handy, I mean that after 20 minutes of jamming the coathanger around inside the door and much wailing with despair and falling on your knees in desperate prayer and remembering that there are no atheists in foxholes, the car door suddenly springs open and you wonder just how much longer your mechanical genius can go unrecognised.

I didn't mean handy with a coathanger in any other way, you know. Remember, Grumpy was educated by the Christian Brothers and some things just seem to stick.

Anyway, I reckon that there should be a roadside assist for house insurance so that on that particularly broiling day as you slam the door shut behind you and realise your keys are nowhere to be seen you could just call for some nice young chap to come round and pick your lock.

I could have expressed that better, perhaps.

It would sure beat lying outside listening to the neighbours play their new Peter Gabriel CD over and over. Even worse, it was a best of Peter Gabriel - Live! Even worse, there was no Games Without Frontiers or Steam. I know, I can hear you tuttling with sympathy from here.

4 comments:

Rodney Olsen said...

How could it be a 'best of' without 'Games Without Frontiers'. I think I might go and put my old vinyl copy on now.

Philosophical Karen said...

Well, if they ever start up a home service like that, I'm moving to Australia.

(Unfortunately though, I seem to have the opposite problem. I am always going off for a walk and leaving the house door wide open. Luckily we have a storm door, but it's glass and it doesn't lock.)

The Burp said...

I have definately been known to lock myself out of the house, and then have to spend counless hours at the neighbours house listening to gossip from around the street as I wait "patiently" for my other half to get home with keys...

but more often than not...after I have carefully locked the front door (and deadlocked it)keys safely in handbag or pocket, come home later in the day only to realise the back door is wide open...

...what is a storm door??...

Grump Les Tiltskin said...

I thought it was one of those things that Dorothy shoulda stayed behind in the Wizard of Oz.