03 August 2005

Tempered in the Fire

I'm really impressed that so many chemists out there still use a mortar and pestle as a symbol of their trade. I'm surprised that it hasn't been changed to a giant pill or needle, in deference to the comprehension of the lowest common denominator.

I'm glad pharmacists are not following the example of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, which is considering axing the title of "Mr" for surgeons. Sure its some kind of outmoded hangover from a more hierarchical era - and what to do about the vexing problem of the ladies? perhaps they could follow Jane Seymour's example and simply be known as 'medicine woman' - but I think it's a shame when we knock over yet another relic of a bygone era because it hasn't, apparently, kept up with the times.

Clearly, it behoves us all to keep up with the times.

4 comments:

Grump Les Tiltskin said...

Oh, but HBB, you'll always be every inch an Alpha Double Positive to us.

Grump Les Tiltskin said...

... and maybe we'll have all the Fascists out of the way by then (maybe so).

BTW, has anyone noted the Dockers' creep up the Australian Football League ladder of late?

Just, you know, FYI.
SF

Livewire said...

yes, I have noticed the dockers climb
belatedly of course - because they're never on tv in Canberra.

But back to hbb's point - I love a good historical anomaly. I was particularly disappointed when the R&I Bank became BankWest (even with all the juvenile wordplay that enables).

Anonymous said...

Interestingly (well, to me anyway) the R&I was originally called the Agricultural Bank until 1945.